Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Engaged Learning

As I started this school year, I was very excited about trying new things. I'd spent the summer learning and perfecting some technology tools such as podcasting, blogging, google docs, etc. My US History classes were shifting to an online textbook and we were told that each department would have a classroom set of laptops on a cart for us to use. I've always considered myself cutting edge in technology and didn't want to be that teacher that just lectured or showed videos all the time. I wanted to present the information in a creative way that sparked students to go out and learn more on their own. As a newer teacher, I wanted to learn a lot of the information with them, as if I know anything as a teacher, it is that I don't know much!

As someone who is interested in engaged learning, I really wanted to be the "tour guide" of the past. I was so excited to do things in a new and interesting way that I started tweaking my lesson plans back in June. I embedded powerpoints with videos, I started working on audio podcasts to help students review or get a different look at primary sources. I felt like I could bring history alive in the class room and just maybe kids wouldn't find it so "boring".

Researching engaged learning has reinforced the type of teacher I want to be. The idea that the students explore and guide the class through the information and the teacher is just there to keep everyone on track when they get stuck is what appeals to me. I personally feel technology gives us the opportunity to spice up our lessons and present them in a way that kids are used to being entertained. However, technology has failed me so far. Our laptops aren't ready, kids complained about having to read their textbook on a computer screen and I'm worried it will lead to a wider gap between the haves and have nots in our school. I'm currently lecturing on the expansion west and at times I'm sick of hearing my own voice! My goal is this year is to try 4 new things in the classroom that all help to shift me toward teaching engaged learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment